Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Chief Justice Rehnquist dead, Roberts to be Chief Justice?

I had no idea that Chief Justice William Rehnquist was that close to death, so I was more than a little surprised to hear that he had passed away. I knew he was ill, but from the way he talked about not retiring, I assumed he thought he was getting better. President Bush has decided to nominate John Roberts as Chief Justice instead of just nominating him to the court.

This move will likely mean more in depth hearings, but I would be suprised if there is that much opposition to Roberts. There will, of course, be some from the liberals, but in the end I am pretty sure he will be confirmed. While some liberals seem to think President Bush should nominate someone who steadfastly supports Roe. v Wade, why would a Republican President do such a thing, especailly when the religious right has so much power in the Republican party.

For more on this, check out this link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/rehnquist

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home