Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Judging from Congress lately, did I awaken from a coma and find the country perfect?

Right, I was pretty sure that I did not. Let's review real quick the issues of today (just a few, not intended to be all inclusive):
-social security
-medicare
-rising health care costs
-tort reform
-the economy
-the war in Iraq and "on terror"
-the record budget deficits
-schools that are falling short
-unemployment
-the damn highway bill that they have been working on for over a year (good job guys!)

Okay, so there are obviously some important things that need work. According to what you hear in the news anyway, here is what Congress seems to think are the most important

-steroids in baseball from as far back as five years ago
-the Terry Schiavo fiasco, which correct me if I am wrong, is only about one person

What the hell are these morons doing? I don't know about you, but I didn't elect someone to Washington and pay taxes to support them for them to go on a headline grabbing steroid witch hunt mostly concerning the allegations in Jose (yeah a fly ball actually did bounce off my hollow head and bounce over the wall for a home run) Canseco's book tentaively called "I need money so buy my dumb ass book". Why is congress investigating steroids in baseball from guys that are retired now? I am against steroids in baseball, but that hardly qualifies as an urgent national matter above most other things. What's next, investigating the WWE for steroids and trotting out Superstar Billy Graham on his artifical hip to talk about if they were used in his heyday in the 70's and 80's?

As far as the Schiavo thing goes, that is an act of lunacy. What really pisses me off is that no one seems to care about this poor woman. She is being fought over like a rag doll, her family clinging to the notion that she will be probably the first person in history to actually improve from such a condition. I can understand not wanting to let someone go, but I don't know anyone that would want to be kept alive forever that way. How would you feel if you had a loved one that wanted the plug pulled and you were going to have them do it and then congress stepped in and said no you can't do that? I can't believe that any republican would support such a notion, being that this is more of a government intrustion than most things that they oppose.

Seems like a waste of time and money if you ask me. But apparently since we are worrying about this stuff everything else must be fixed. If you believe that, I need your help! I just won the Nigerian lottery but I need you to send me $10000 to help me claim it and then we will split the prize (one of the most well known internet scams out there, just had to throw that in).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congress might have some credibility on drug testing if they didn't have a less stringent policy (meaning none) than baseball. I'd be a lot more worried about drugged-out lawmakers messing up the country than somebody hitting home runs with chemical assistance.

Michael Schiavo (Terri's "husband" - I use quotes because he's lived with another woman for 10 years and they have 2 kids together) might make a better case for starving/dehydrating Terri if he didn't stand to inherit over a million dollars from a malpractice settlement. Although Congress picked a strange way to go about it, if there is a question about whether someone wants to live or die, shouldn't they be allowed to live? They can always kill Terri off later, but they can't bring her back after she's dead.

11:04 PM, March 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home