Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Go figure

Wow, this is a shocker, according to a recent study conducted in Australia, people using cell phones while driving are more likely to have accidents than those who are not. I hope they got some kind of government grant for that study. I am actually surprised there are not more such accidents. I see unbelievievably stupid things on the road virtually every day (and not just on the bible thumpin Kansas side either) and a good chunk of the time that driver is on their cell. That is bad news in the KC area since the average person is a bad driver to begin with, this is not going to help.

I use my phone on occasion while driving, but i actually put the phone down while entering or exiting the freeway, or changing lanes, especially if I need to go to my left (I hold the phone in my left hand most of the time, making it hard to see out that side of the window). But most people are not that careful.

Here is the link to the story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8545779/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking on a cell phone while driving, hands free or not, is definitely a distraction. I don't know if banning cell phone use while driving is truly necessary (such a ban would be nearly impossible to enforce anyway). I have heard of people actually trying to read a book or watch TV while driving - that's just scary.

Ironically, the MSNBC story is full of banner ads for Verizon Wireless!

10:48 PM, July 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home